Calvary Baptist Church was started on February 28, 1959. Services were held in a building on North West Street, Plainfield, IN. Our first pastor was Larry Newans.
As the church grew, a house was purchased in October, 1961, at 253 N. Mill St. in Plainfield. Services were held there with Pastor Don Messenger. The church committed to support its first missionaries and mission agency during this time (1962) – Jerry and Frances Leonard and Cedarville College, both for $5.00 a month. Calvary’s congregation still supports both today.
On May 3, 1964, Pastor Gerald Dooley became pastor of Calvary. The church had significantly outgrown the house that was purchased in 1961 and plans were carried out to purchase an existing church building at 201 N. Vine St in Plainfield. The first service held in this new building was on November 15, 1964.
The year 1970 brought to us Pastor Don Wallace and the church continued to flourish. As the church grew, land was purchased and a new facility for the church was built at our current location - 1290 S. Center St, Plainfield. The first service held in this building was on February 6, 1972. Pastor Wallace has now gone home to be with the Lord.
On August 30, 1987, Pastor Dwight Bradford began ministering at Calvary and served here for 10 years.
On June 8, 1997, Pastor Jeff Tague came to speak at a Wednesday night service through the counsel and vision of Don Tyler of Bethesda Baptist Church. Beginning on Sunday, June 8, 1997, Pastor Jeff, his wife Janna and their family began their ministry at Calvary.
Because of God’s blessing and recent growth the church broke ground in 2002 to construct a new auditorium (seats 500) and class rooms. The first service was held in this building on July 6, 2003. This addition is the “first phase” of a “two phase” plan which will expand the auditorium to a seating capacity of 1,000 and add additional classroom space, Lord willing.
Today, the church remains at 1290 S. Center St. in Plainfield with Pastor Jeff Tague as Senior Pastor. Our church seeks to accomplish the mission given to us by God through His Word –
“More and More People, More and More Like Jesus.”